At the end of the 1990s, TIM launched a series of internal research and development activities to build terminals with a reduced environmental impact. In order to improve the environmental efficiency of products offered to private and business customers alike, attention has to be paid to their energy aspects, optimising consumption while meeting the needs of the services delivered and applying “Design For Environment” rules that reduce their environmental impact, particularly during the production phase and the end-of-life management of equipment.
Pursuing and expanding this logic, the TIM Green logo has been created, renamed TIM eco- friendly in 2015, to identify both TIM’s environmental protection initiatives and projects and eco-friendly products.
For products and initiatives that bear this logo, information is provided about the features and specific solutions adopted, as a result of which their eco-friendliness and/or environmental benefit can be demonstrated. In the case of products, this information appears in the environmental statement drawn up in accordance with the UNI EN ISO 14021 standard, as well as in the sustainability section of the telecomitalia.com website, where information can also be found about the “eco-friendly” features of initiatives and projects.
The Green range includes a number of products developed with the assistance of suppliers and dedicated to business and consumer customers alike.
The most recent environmental declarations issued relate to 6 new products launched in 2016, i.e.:
- the Smart Modem for broadband services produced by Technicolor, which when actively working enables electricity savings of 8% higher than the values set in the European Code of Conduct regarding the energy consumption of Broadband Equipment;
- the Smart Modem for Broadband services produced by Sercomm, which in one year of operation enables electricity savings of around 19% with respect to the challenging targets set in the European Code of Conduct regarding the energy consumption of Broadband Equipment;
- the “Sirio Classico” telephone, produced by Bertana, which is offered to TIM customers for the landline service, the annual average use of which enables electricity savings of over 90% compared to a model with similar features powered from the mains;
- The new TIMvision decoder with Android TV™, the annual average use of which enables electricity savings of over 64% compared to the previous generation decoder and it is equipped with a high energy efficiency power supply, over 84%;
- The FACILE DESIGN cordless telephone produced by Motorola which, by activating the “ECO” and “ECO Plus” mode, reduces electricity consumption by 99% compared to previous generation products;
- the FIBRA modem for ultrabroadband services produced by ADB, which when fully operational enables electricity savings of around 23% with respect to the already challenging target values set by the European Code of Conduct regarding the energy consumption of Broadband Equipment.
Il risparmio di energia elettrica si traduce anche in una equivalente riduzione delle emissioni di gas a effetto serra. Va anche sottolineato che tutti i prodotti della linea TIM eco-friendly sono progettati applicando criteri di eco-progettazione e sia la scocca che l’imballo sono realizzati con materiali omogenei, riciclati e/o riciclabili.